For those of you that follow my blog, recently I had my Annual Fall To-Do List. Two items that I wanted to accomplish on my list were to make pumpkin latte and to find a really good apple pie recipe. I accomplished both of these items last night.
Here is a picture of Zhana trying the pumpkin pie latte. I don’t make a habit of giving my child caffeine, but did let her have this little special treat. I got this recipe from A Year of Slowcooking.
Pumpkin Pie Latte Recipe
--2 cups milk
--2 T canned pumpkin
--2 T white sugar
--2 T vanilla (not a typo. it asks for tablespoons)
--1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
OR: 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, and a teeny tiny pinch of ground ginger
--1/2 cup brewed espresso or 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
--garnish with whipped cream (optional)
This recipe only makes enough for two people. I tripled the recipe.
Add the coffee/espresso and milk to the crockpot. Whisk in the pumpkin, spices, sugar, and vanilla.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours if everything is cold. Whisk again.
Ladle into mugs, and garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon. This is a keeper for sure and will become a family tradition at my house.
Next, was my task to find the perfect apple pie recipe. I am pretty sure I did. This recipe is from allrecipes and is called Apple Pie by Grandma Ople. Here is the recipe for the most part, but I did change a couple of things.
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- Heat oven to 350. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Mix apples with the sauce. Take a cookie cutter and cut out shapes. Add these to the top of the pie.
- Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
- Five minutes before cooking is finished, make a mixture using karo syrup and hot water. Brush this onto the pie. Sprinkle white sugar onto the pie.