This idea comes from Family Fun magazine: A Day with Grampy
Having lost my father when I was still a child, I've been concerned that Zhana would never know about the amazing man he was. I absolutely love this idea! If you go to the Family Fun magazine website, you can read all the details.
- Label cardstock with phrases that remind you of the loved one, such as "Making Noodles" or "Tickle Torture"
- Add photos and other memorabilia that remind you of the loved one.
- On the outside of a suitcase add a luggage tag that says, "A day with grampy"
- Introduce the suitcase to the child-"Today you get to learn all the things your grandfather would have wanted you to know were he still alive."
- Tell child to select cards and do the activities with parent
Here is an example: For me some of the labels would be-making noodles, doing Dad's hair, Daddy's singing, ZZ top, nature walks...Memorabilia I would include in the suitcase might be trinkets he gave me as a child. Some of the activities she might choose from these labels would be making homemade noodles with me, listening to ZZ top, learning about animal tracks.
This is such a wonderful idea!