Saturday, October 17, 2009

Daddy Long Legs Blues

I despise bugs.  I can’t convince myself to like them even in the pursuit of teaching Zhana about science.  They make me queasy to be around.  We once saw a display of  hissing cockroaches and I couldn’t eat for the rest of the day.  I mean I really, really hate bugs.  Well, there are a few exceptions.  I don’t mind cute little lady bugs, butterflies, walking sticks…actually come to think of it there are several that I don’t mind.  I don’t mind Daddy Long Legs.  Even if I did mind Daddy Long Legs, I think I’d still like this book.

This book reads to a rhythm that resembles a blues melody.  When you read it, you can’t help but take on a deep voice like someone in a dark blues club.  Here’s a sample-“He can’t spin a web like those fancy spiders do. His daddy was a wanderer and his momma was, too.  He hatched from an egg his momma laid in a crack just before she got squashed in the back of a shack.  He has the blues.  The Daddy Longlegs Blues.  Try not to channel you inner blues persona, I dare you to try!

The illustrations are great! They are bright, fun, and will definitely keep your little one amused. The pictures are hip! The art is described by the publisher as “witty art features plenty of fun details and an urban, bohemian flair; her sunglasses-wearing title character seems to come straight out of the Beat generation.” 

At the back of the book is a Glossary of Blues Terms such as Muddy Waters: “The famous blues musician dubbed ‘King of Chicago Blues,’ Muddy Waters is credited for shifting the rural acoustic blues to the urban blues in the late 1940s.” There is also a glossary for musical instruments played by Daddy Longlegs.    It was pretty exciting to learn a few things from a children’s book. 

This book is deemed appropriate for ages 4 and up BUT my 3 year old loves it immensely.  If this book doesn’t win some kind of award this year, I’ll be singing the blues myself. 

37455580This wonderful book is available online and in stores for $14.95. 

0 comments: